YOU HAVE YOUR COLLEGE DEGREE AND WANT TO BECOME A TEACHER BUT DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START, PRE-SERVICE COURSES MIGHT BE JUST RIGHT FOR YOU!
What is Pre-Service?
The Pre-Service coursework is designed to introduce candidates to various aspects of the teaching profession. Pre-Service is one requirement that must be met for admission into our upcoming Intern program, designed to prepare eligible candidates to be teachers of record. Our spring Pre-Service will run from Feb 26th to June 15th. Our summer It is a rigorous program that candidates must successfully complete to be recommended to be intern ready.
If you could not make it to the Intern Program info sessions, here is a recording of our Digital Info Night.
How do you apply for Pre-Service Program?
NEXT PRE-SERVICE COURSES WILL BE OFFERED SPRING 2019 (February 4th -May 24th 2019)
COME TO OUR INFO NIGHTS IN SEPTEMBER
In order to enroll in the Pre-Service courses of the Yolo-Solano Center for Teacher Credentialing -Intern Teacher Program, candidates must meet the requirements listed below.
- Attend an Information Meeting to learn about the program, determine eligibility.
- Hold a Bachelor degree (official transcripts are required). If you earned your Bachelor's Degree from a Foreign Institution, please refer to the CTC Foreign Transcript Evaluation leaflet to see what agencies are approved for transcript evaluation.
- Provide official transcripts from each institution attended (a transcript MUST show the bachelor’s degree conferred)
- Successfully pass a Basic Skills Requirement Test -for most people, this will be the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST). Please refer to this leaflet on options for meeting the Basic Skills Requirement.
- Provide receipt of your Certificate of Clearance from CTC (fingerprinting).
What are the Preservice Courses?
- EDU 100 Preservice Classroom Management and Environment
- EDU 110 Preservice Reading and Language Arts
- EDU 111 Teachers as Learners
- EDU 115 Preservice Best Practices as an Educational Specialist
- EDU 120 Preservice Human Development and Typical/Atypical Behaviors
- EDU 125 Preservice English Language Learners
- EDU 130 PreService Technology for the Classroom
- EDU 135 Preservice Cognitive Science and Teaching
- EDU 140 Preservice Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
For course descriptions, please click here .
What is the tuition for the Pre-service Courses ?
Tuition for Pre-Service is $1275. A non-refundable application fee of $50 and $200 enrollment fee is due with the Pre-Service application to be enrolled in the Pre-Service Program. The application fee and program tuition apply to the coursework for the cohort enrolled in only. If a candidate is unable to complete the Pre-Service program as scheduled, the candidate is still responsible for the full program tuition.
Candidates who are unable to complete the pre-service program as enrolled, and must re-enroll in future cohorts to complete courses will be admitted if in good financial standing (previous program tuition paid in full). The tuition for outstanding coursework will be $150 per course or the current program tuition, whichever is less.
The Yolo Solano Center for Teacher Credentialing has articulation agreements in place with Placer County Office of Education and Sacramento County Office of Education. These Articulation Agreements establish a partnership between the Yolo Solano Center for Teacher Credentialing (YSCTC) and the Placer County Office of Education (PCOE) and between YSCTC and the Sacramento County Office of Education. The purpose of these Agreements are to guide, direct, and provide educational opportunities for YSCTC and PCOE/SCOE students respectively. Students admitted to either Mild/Moderate Intern Program at PCOE or the Intern Program at SCOE are eligible to receive transfer credits for pre-service coursework from either program, provided the student has taken and successfully passed the entire pre-service coursework.
Click here for FAQ's about our Intern Program
Click here to learn about Intern Eligibility requirements
Click here for Pre-service Guidebook 2018-2019
Click here for Pre-Service Spring 18 Schedule
Click here for Pre-Service Summer 18 Schedule